1-1 PIGMENT MAKING SESSION
Rolvenden, Kent TN17
In the 1-1 session you can choose exactly what you want to explore. This could be earth, metal, bone or lake (plant-based) pigments, or all four! We can also look at different binders and mediums.
The session is generally 2.5 hours, unless you wish to learn how to extract lake pigments, in which case the class will take place over two consecutive days.
All materials are included.
Please contact me to discuss specifics.
On the workshop participants learn:
• The historical origins of pigment
• Responsibilities and health & safety of collecting natural materials and processing pigment
• About different binders, specifically gum arabic and its history and sustainability
• About different types of natural pigment: mineral (inc. shell - calcium carbonate), metal compound, animal, plant, charcoal
• How to identify and use natural artist materials
• How to grind, sieve and purify mineral into pigment
• How to create watercolour paint with raw pigment
Participants take home:
• Handout with notes and reading recommendations
• Hand-painted colour wheel
• Watercolour paint